Skip to main content

Poppies


Poppies

I have been delighted to find poppies appearing all over the place in the grass (I dare not call it lawn).  I didn't see many of them last year.  Either the weather has suited them better this year or possibly I didn't mow them down because I have been a bit slow with getting the mowing done. The funny thing is the section of the garden which I have designated to be the "meadow" (and hence will be rarely mowed) hasn't got any of them.






A poem for today
To Autumn by John Keats
Even though it is the wrong season for Australia right now I always think of these lines in today's poem when it comes not cutting the wildflowers when mowing. 
"Drows'd with the fume of poppies, while thy hook
 Spares the next swath and all its twined flowers."


Comments

  1. Pretty poppies. Haven't grown them for years as they always seem to flop over or else the wind gets into them and blows all the petals away! I must try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew them years ago with moderate success. Of those shown here the purple ones are a similar size to Iceland poppies but the others are quite small. Wind and rain doesn’t seem to bother them.

      Delete
  2. I´ve never seen pink poppies!
    I still have a sachet of Gallipoli-poppies here. Well, just the sachet, the poppies bloomed and are long gone (sadly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think they are poppies ... maybe not. I have a seed pack of Flanders poppies that I got from the war memorial. Might plant them next year.

      Delete
  3. Definitely poppies and such gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be nice if they were in a garden bed instead of in the lawn.

      Delete
  4. Oh, thank you for the images of this sweet, delicate flower. Am jealous that your season has these lovely blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not face winter right now. Need some summer to thaw me out first.

      Delete
  5. So pretty! We have a couple of areas where my husband tried to encourage poppies to grow. He finally succeeded in one area this year but they refuse to grow anywhere else so far. It seems to take persistence. We've yet to figure out the successful planting formula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had planted these myself I am sure my result would be the same. I am currently wondering how to get them to colonise the meadow.

      Delete
  6. Such a pretty image Joan Elizabeth, I'm happy to say poppies are popping up here and there in my garden also 💮

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Now I know how well they grow in their own I am going to try for more next year.

      Delete

Post a Comment