Skip to main content

Sprawl


State Library of NSW Gallery

The State Library of NSW is currently showing a selection of 300 paintings from their collection in the gallery.

Off in one of the side galleries is a digital artwork about Blacktown when it was fields and creeks, before it became today's 300,000 person city.  A friend (about my age) recently told me that she was raised in Blacktown and it was like living in the country not the city. 

An old gentleman at church told me he lived in Penrith when it had just 6,000 people and he walked down the street and knew people. There are over 200,000 people there today. 

I find it hard to grasp how things have changed so much.

A poem for today
It is about a different type of sprawl but I like this poem - The Quality of Sprawl by Les Murray.

Comments

  1. Sydney is an ever changing city. I like to look at that change as proof that Sydney is alive and kicking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. When we lived in Crows Nest we had some people visit and they said the old rubbish dump used to be over there. We used to explore it as kids. Can you imagine a rubbish dump in Crows Nest today! I don’t mind the changes just a bit fascinated by them.

      Delete
  2. The art I see there would certainly draw me to come on in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a beautiful gallery.
    The world population has exploded in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked it up around 2.5 billion at the time I was born to around 7.2 billion today ... exploded is the right word.

      Delete
  4. We have lived on the edge of the urban sprawl for 30 years but that is rapidly changing. Soon the Gold Coast and Brisbane will be one urban corridor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sprawl is creeping up into the mountains too as western Sydney moved ever further west.

      Delete

Post a Comment