Skip to main content

Harvest continues


Have your ever tried white cherries? They are the best cherries I have ever tasted.  Our neighbour at Kandos brought some from his garden across to us this week.  This is lovely because the tiny number of cherries from our tree (black cherries) were gobbled up by birds before they ripened.

Other good news, we got back to Kandos in time to catch the plums just as they were ripening.  I picked four full buckets from the tree.  Plenty of cooking and freezing done.

We are back in Kandos today and the apricots are ripening.  I picked three buckets today with plenty more still in the tree.   I am hoping we have beaten the fruit fly to most of them.  


Comments

  1. I don`t think I`ve heard of white cherries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked up the web they are Rainier Cherries. You may have come across those.

      Delete
  2. Haven't heard of white cherries either. Lovely to have access to all that fruit though. Are you making preserves out of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the plums indulge in daily plum and orange juice. I have stewed and frozen lots of them. We eat them as desserts throughout the year. This year I have also frozen some whole and some depipped (using a cherry pipper). Will use these in cooking. Haven’t decided what to do with the apricots but I will make some apricot jam because that is the only type of jam I eat. Hubby will eat quite a lot of them fresh and I will swap to orange and apricot juice soon. Plenty of oranges still on the tree.

      Delete
  3. No I haven't hear of white cherries either but I have heard of fruit fly! LOL! As you would know they get into so much fruit here in Queensland. Such a nuisance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had two cherry-trees at my parent´s place, black and white and I do agree the "white" ones are sweeter.
    Sadly both trees were old and a couple of years ago my brother had to tear them down. I´m sorry for my Nieces, it was a yummy season from August on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame they don’t last forever. We have one old cherry tree left. I had to cut out two dead ones last year. There is a stump of another resprouting and it has a few cherries on it this year.

      Delete

Post a Comment