Skip to main content

Silly season


In keeping with my Wednesday book theme the chandeliers and web of lights in Pitt St mall had me thinking of Miss Haversham's banquet.


A book I have read recently
This week I took on Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. I remember going to the movie when I was as uni in the early 70s.  I didn't understand any of it.  My only recollection is of confusion and a mad man sitting up a tree.

Since I am challenging myself to read books I might find difficult I gave it a go.  I was surprised to find it really amusing. But the circular logic of the various vignettes is so clever it requires quite a bit of concentration. I figured the story in the end would just circle back on itself in some ridiculous way so there was no point pushing on even though I was enjoying it.

I decided to do 100 pages and call it quits. Problem is I haven’t reached the bit with the man in the tree so I might keep going.

Comments

  1. Pretty decorations!

    I've only on very rare occasions found it impossible to finish a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely pass on a book that I have started. That is what is encouraging me to continue this one.

      Delete
  2. You have me awww- and oooohing here over the beautiful decoration!
    The book sounds a bit like "Waiting for Godot" (not that I have seen/read it, Wiki´s info was more than enough for me ;-)...)
    "Silly season" sounds just perfect in a fun way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes something of the oddness of Waiting for Godot (which I have read). But this book is much more entertaining. A lot like the TV series Mash.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I agree. I found them rather surprising. Not a typical Christmas decoration.

      Delete

Post a Comment