Skip to main content

Gold seeking drive 6 - Cook Park


I was disappointed to find we are were too early for the best colour in the park but found a couple of nice images anyway.


I was particularly pleased to find the Begonia House was filled with blooms as this is the time of year for the tuberous begonias to flower.



And one other surprise.  A large colony of bats hanging in the trees.  I have not seen them in this park on other visits so I am hoping they are just migrating through rather than making it a permanent home like they have in the Sydney Botanical Gardens.




Comments

  1. Love the colourful tree hanging over the ducks. Hope the bats don't stay. The blooms are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tree surprised me as I think it was a conifer which I typically don't think of being deciduous.

      Delete
  2. I think the bats in the Sydney Botanical Gardens were moved on and rehoused. They were a big problem. When we were in Wingham we saw lots of bats up in the trees in Wingham Brush. I like tuberous begonias but find them hard to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up and it does seem they have successfully moved the bats on in Sydney, that's great. I have had quite good success with the tuberous begonias when I have planted them out in a fairly shady spot. They come back each year without me doing anything to them.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I am always thankful for the people who planted out gardens in the past (including my own gardens) where we benefit from beautiful mature trees.

      Delete
  4. Your second shot says "autumn" to me.
    Here's are other differences between our hemispheres. Tuberous begonias are a summer flower here and are gone by autumn. And I have never seen bats on trees during daylight like this, only hunting for insects at dusk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They flower from summer through autumn but in the colder climate areas tend to save up for autumn. These are fruit bats, perhaps yours hide in caves.

      Delete

Post a Comment