Skip to main content

Parkes - Elvis


These days it is not Sir Henry Parkes that gets top billing in the town ... it's Elvis!

Back in 1993 some locals threw an Elvis party which had a couple of hundred people attend. It's now a major event with over 25,000 people descending on the town each January.

And there are Elvis sightings all over the place, even in July.  I had a bit of fun spotting some of them for you.





A book I have read recently
No I have not read anything about Elvis or even rock 'n roll but I have read something with music at its heart Maestro by Peter Goldsworthy. In tropical Darwin (pre 1974 cyclone) a talented teenager studies piano with the Maestro, a refugee from Vienna - a fascinating story.

Comments

  1. Never been a fan of Elvis myself but a friends mother was a huge Elvis fan, so everytime I was at their place back in the mid 1970s she played his music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan but whenever I hear him I do appreciate his voice.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was particularly impressed with rendering of the jewellery on that statue.

      Delete
  3. It's impressive how Elvis has endured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is impressive. I guess a combination of showmanship, a great voice and accessible music.

      Delete
  4. Not an Elvis fan, but I heard Tracy in Darwin. In the museum is a small, pitch dark room with original sounds of that Christmas night. It freaked me out. (Well, at least there was, I was there in 1999)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been to Darwin. I have only been on the edges of a cyclone and that is scary enough. I can’t imagine what it is like having your house to blow down around you.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this interesting information. Elvis is the only pop star that I followed. All old 9 years old. When we moved from Kyogle to the Sunshine Coast, I gave my scrapebook of cuttings to my cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Po a fan! Perhaps you should try visiting Parkes one January.

      Delete

Post a Comment