Skip to main content

Filling the gaps

A month or two ago we moved more of our furniture from our mountains house to our Kandos house.


For example, we moved this old kitchen cabinet which matches the table and chairs I showed last week. 

This however has left some gaps at our original home which we want to be furnished when we put it up for sale. Moving things about I was able to make everything look acceptable except for the space left by this cabinet.  Then I had a bright idea, my husband had another one down in his workshop which he and his father used for tools and other man junk.

I wrestled it from him, painted over the 1950s green and a lovely new cabinet emerged, perfect for filling the gap and even the glass matches the colour scheme.



There is another wall that is a bit too blank.  I am busily doing the quilting on this top that I made 25 years ago to fill that space.



You might have guessed I like old houses and eclectic old furnishings - especially those with memories.  

Comments

  1. I love the second cabinet. It is perfect and looks just right in that space. The first cabinet reminds me of one my parents had in our kitchen when I was growing up. The quilt will look lovely when you have finished it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first cabinet is certainly very traditional. My mum always wished she had one with leadlight windows like the second one.

      Delete
  2. I love both those cabinets. I am sure my grandparents had one similar to the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This first cabinet was bought by my parents when they set up home after the war so circa 1945.

      Delete
  3. Both cabinets fabulous Joan Elizabeth. It's amazing what we can find and transform when we need too 😉 I absolutely appreciate your love of old things, I'm a bit like that myself, lot's of history in old things 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now working on restoring occasional tables collected from my husband's family home. These items have been in our home of many years but I am only now getting to giving them a facelift.

      Delete
  4. I like both of those cabinets. I'd never have imagined the second one had been rehabbed from being filled with man junk. I especially like the glass on both. And the quilt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding it a bit slow doing the quilting. Most of my energy is currently going into the garden now it has rained and in some other furniture restoration projects but I will get to it.

      Delete
  5. Clever you. Will the second cabinet be returned to the workshop when the house is sold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it will go back to the workshop because my hubby likes it. We have a large house still full of furniture so most of it will have to be sold, given away or dumped when we eventually sell our Blue Mountains home.

      Delete
  6. Cabinets like that hardly exist anymore and are definitely worth keeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly see them for quite high prices in the old wares shops, but of course would not get a price like that when selling it yourself. I expect both of these will be kept (see comment above).

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Glad you like them Iris. You should have seen the second one before I did the paint job - it was not only a horrible green, it was covered in possum piddle.

      Delete
  8. Those old cabinets do bring back memories. You have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always busy doing stuff like this and in the gardens so don't expect to have any trouble filling in while we can't go out.

      Delete

Post a Comment