Skip to main content

Winter garden

Burnbrae, Lawson

It may seem a little bare but the winter garden after the autumn leaves have been gathered is a wonderous thing, green lawn that won't need mowing for ages and violets flowering in the clumps.

I finished work yesterday, still can't quite believe it.  I've been talking all day about the various farewell conversations I had at the office. After a long while I said to hubby "What am I going to talk about now I am retired?" to which he responded with a very straight face "That's never been a problem".

Comments

  1. Retirement is one of those major life-events that rank high on the stress scale. Think each thought through as it comes to you; they each serve a purpose, no matter how opaque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been preparing for a while, working from home and with my working hours being steadily reduced. However I am sure I will miss the social interaction and daily satisfaction from helping others that a work day gives.

      Like everybody before me I guess I will muddle along until I figure it out.

      Delete
  2. I now have a gardener who comes monthly, for the harder tasks. He struggles during the Autumn and Winter as many customers put him on hold until the growing season.

    I find that quizzical. The time of fallow is as important (to me) as the time of growth. I like to consider the direction my garden is going. Should I change this or that? Is the effect what I am after? Does the wave of colour during my blooming schedule show my garden in its best light?

    A bit like life in general ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I envy your sure hand in the garden. Gardening remains a mystery to me. I depend on those before me who set up the gardens giving them direction so I just follow along mostly.

      For me the fallow time in the garden is the perfect time to go Sweet Wayfaring because I don't have to worry about the place turning into a jungle while I am away. But that quiet time ends sooner now I have the garden at Kandos. With the roses and fruit trees there is a lot of pruning to be done at the end of winter. I don't do much pruning in the mountains.

      Delete

Post a Comment