Skip to main content

On art, angels and writing




On the weekend we went the Sculptures in the Garden which is an annual exhibit at Rosby Wines near Mudgee.  This one Fallen Angel Feather by Tobias Bennet was my favourite though it's hard to pass by the tree trunk behind as a wonderful sculpture done by the hand of nature.

A book I have read recently
Thinking of angels I have on my bookshelf Wrestling with your Angels - A spiritual journey to great writing by Janet Hagbert. That's not the book I read this week but I do enjoy books on writing so this  week's book is The Memoir Book by Patti Miller.

15 years or so ago I attended a life writing workshop by Patti at Varuna Writers House. As I am essentially a technical and marketing writer is was nice to explore a different form of writing.  I drafted a memoir then and won't be reworking it any time soon.

As Patti says towards the end of this book “Writers are endlessly hungry to learn more about writing. We think, talk, read, about writing because it is the most fascinating topic in the world ... All the while, we know there is only one real way to keep developing as a writer, and that is to write. We nourish ourselves with the words of other writers to broaden and deepen our own experience of writing, and then we do it ourselves.”

I am currently in the nourishing phase as I have many other tasks to occupy my time right now but sometime soon I will pick up my pen.

Comments

  1. I have attended many writing workshops at Varuna and elsewhere and absolutely love writing, especially poetry. However, a couple of years' ago I took a break from writing to concentrate on my other passion and that is composing music. This now has overtaken my love of writing to the stage where I have not written for at least 2 years. I keep a daily journal and write a blog and that is enough for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well music is one thing I won’t be doing. I like playing the piano because it is relaxing but I actually play it very badly so the neighbours will be glad for me to stick to writing.

      Delete
  2. Of the two sculptures, I think nature's effort is the winner. The 'Fallen Angel Feather' is however, very expressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn’t noticed the tree until I was publishing the photo. I don’t think I have seen a tree with a trunk like that before so my vote is favouring the tree too.

      Delete
  3. Both fabulous Joan Elizabeth, mother nature is absolutely the best but I really envy the talent of sculptors and artists ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy their talent too. I am trying to inspire more artistic husband to make me something interesting for our garden but I won't hold my breath.

      Delete
  4. The tree is glorious as a natural work of art. The human made art is pretty wonderful, too, and very evocative.
    I fell into blogging as a way to work on my writing. It's helped me be more concise and focused...and probably diluted since I'm always on a deadline...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blog began for the photographs rather than the writing. But as the photographs are not always up to scratch it's probably more of a journal with pictures.

      Delete
  5. The same applies to photographers. Stop reading and go practice is what we are told. The sculpture exhibition in a Mudgee winery sounds great. I love both sculptures and Mudgee wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to be back photographing these days. But truth is they are more "snapshots" than considered photography. I often use my little point-and-shoot or the iphone rather than my good camera (especially as the telephoto lens is stuffed). The advantage of the smaller cameras is that I almost always have them on hand. And as mentioned above the blog seems to be more about journalling than photography these days.

      Delete
  6. It's great to see so many country towns really getting into the arts these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here at Kandos we have Cementa a biennial festival of contemporary art and there have been a number of artists take up residence in our community.

      Delete

Post a Comment