Skip to main content

Spring city

Martin Place
We were in the city last week and pleased to see the hard grey surfaces softened with spring planter boxes.

A book I have been reading
I finished Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy last night.  I read Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd for final year school English.  I remember thinking it moved along very slowly and disliked it for that.   I've obviously changed, I enjoyed the slow pace of this novel though I was sad with the ending.  Interestingly it has something significant to say in the #MeToo era so this one won't be banned.

Comments

  1. I'm glad the council has continued to put out the flower boxes. I last read Tess 10 or so years ago before the #metoo movement. Thomas Hardy certainly was ahead of his time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the flower boxes but always wonder why they are not quite a beautiful as the flower baskets in Britain and Europe. I guess it is our climate.

      Delete
  2. The flower boxes add charm to a modern area that would be quite sterile without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Martin Place often feels quite souless to me.

      Delete
  3. It seems almost anything green and growing makes a city more welcoming. I tolerate a slower pace in a book but find my eyes slamming shut at times even with an exciting book these days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment