Skip to main content

Things American



On the weekend I spotted an American flag flying on this very British Morgan sports car.

A street in Bathurst was lined with Morgans as part of the 60 years celebration of the Morgan owners club in Australia.  My husband loves looking at old cars to we went to Bathurst to see them.


A book I have read recently
After last week's choice I realised the my reading of American literature seemed to be lacking. Pulling up a number of top 100 lists on the web I found this to be true.  So this week I decided to expand my American literature list and read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The writing is superb, capturing the era, lifestyle and characters in wonderful detail and with great reading ease.  Unfortunately I didn't like the characters, their lifestyle or their story but still count it as a worthwhile read.

Here's my list of American literature books read - currently a mere 11% hit rate.
The Great Gatsby (F Scott Fitzgerald)
To Kill a Mocking Bird (Harper Lee)
The Adventures of Huckelberry Finn (Mark Twain)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Mark Twain)
The Call of the Wild (Jack London)
The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salenger)
Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
Uncle Tom's Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe)
The Bridge of San Luis Ray (Thornton Wilder)
Gone with the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
Charlottes Web (E B White)




Comments

  1. I have read Little Women, Gone With the Wind and Charlotte's Web, all excellent. I am beginning to like things American. I sell a lot of my music compositions in America and have made several American Composer friends through my music publishing. I am always interested to read about the various States where my music sells and, in the process, am learning a lot about the geography of America. I don't like their gun laws though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked for an American company for many years and used to go there 3 or 4 times a year. On occasions could also include road trips so have seen quite a lot, all interesting and exciting. Now I am trying to cover more of Australia.

      Delete
  2. The Morgan is such an elegant car, must have been fabulous to see Morgans en masse. My favourite American writer is Ernest Hemingway, but I have to admit I'm not fond of things American in general. Your reference to Bunnings and sausages made me smile Joan Elizabeth, I was at Bunnings at the weekend, the aroma of sausages sizzling is quite tempting but I resist mainly because of the indigestion that follows 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t tried Hemingway. I will give him a go sometime soon. Truth be told I often resist at Bunnings too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They were beautiful. There was one pre-restoration one there and it is simply amazing how they scrub them up to their full beauty.

      Delete
  4. You've read a lot of our classics. And beautiful classic cars. I can't say that I'm familiar with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as many as I have read British and Australian classics. I will post those lists sometime in the future.

      Delete
  5. Charlottes Web was the very first non-German book I bought. Not at school but on my only visit to Great Britain as a kid.
    I was called a "Streber", nerd, striver, whatever for it, too.
    Oh, those cars and Australia, yes, there is a link indeed :-)
    And Hemingway.. Cuba... ahhh.... great memories!
    Can you believe I´ve never (sadly) been to America (yet)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t been to lots of countries - I just watch documentaries about them on TV these days.

      Delete

Post a Comment