Skip to main content

Christmas Star


This week we are at Burnbrae garden.  For years I got annoyed with the dogwood on the southern side.  Each spring I looked for lovely pink flowers like the one up the road.  No flowers appeared.  Then one year I chanced to look out the window near Christmas time and to my surprise I found it displaying lovely white star like flowers - I had been looking for the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Other things happening at Burnbrae include the bottlebrush flowering OK for the first time since I pruned it when the shrub nearly died.


The Australian Native Frangipani putting on a floral display outside the kitchen window. It is a tall skinny rainforest plant native to Queensland.


And the very insignificant flowers of the port wine magnolia pushing out their scent to welcome us home - it is a strong bubble gum type scent that can be smelt a long way from the tree in the afternoon and evening, not much perfume in the morning at all.

Comments

  1. Well, in honour of my Uncle I sure would love to have a port wine magnolia here! What a sweet coincidence this is!
    I love the raindrops on the leaves, too. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dogwood blossom looks smaller but very similar to those we have here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just like the ones in America. It is not a native Australian plant and I have seen ones such as these in America, maybe Yosemite, my memory is failing me.

      Delete
  3. I simply love the port wine magnolia. I think there are some beautiful ones in our Queens Park near the CBD. Such a beautiful scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the type of plant I would expect to see in a park like that. Old ones (like ours) are a beautiful tree with lovely glossy evergreen leaves so look great all year round.

      Delete
  4. We have a Port Wine Magnolia tree, which we planted a few years' ago, but it has no scent. Or, if it has, I can't smell it! We also have several Bottlebrushes and Grevilleas which attract the native birds (mostly Wattlebirds). I haven't seen a native Frangipani, but we do have the ordinary Frangipani (growing in a pot) which I struck from a cutting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are night scented so try sniffing around at nighttime. I doubt an ordinary Frangipani would survive in Lawson, you are further down and hence warmer. I love them.

      Delete
  5. The port wine magnolia flowers are so different from the huge blooms on the Southern magnolia I posted a few days ago. Sounds as if they are just as perfumed though. The colour is the same as port wine ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these blooms are so itsy bitsy you would miss them except for their powerful fragrance.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I am now wondering if you get dogwoods in your forests in Canada.

      Delete
  7. I love that all your lovely blossoms have been blessed with beautiful raindrops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been having good rainfall in the mountains over the past few weeks and some rainfall at Kandos as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment