Skip to main content

Coots



When we were walking around Wentworth Falls Lake the other day I spotted these black waterbirds which I initially thought would be water hens but checking them up when I got home they turned out at Eurasian Coots.

To me the word "coot" is usually associated with people saying "silly old coot" to refer to an older gentleman doing something fuddy-duddy, which has nothing to do with these birds.  Coots are apparently known for their lobed feet - see below - aren't they weird?


Comments

  1. When we were at Pugh's Lagoon recently, we saw Eurasian Coots and I also took several photos. They were intermingled with Purple Swamphens and other waterbirds. Birds are so fascinating. Those feet on the Eurasian Coots are amazing! I didn't get a photo of their feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had been more familiar with the old coot term until some years ago, seeing photoblogs and seeing birds of that name. To the best of my knowledge, they are not in this area at all. The feet are quite strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think blogging is a great way to extend my knowledge, particularly of international places.

      Delete
  3. They sure have different web feet then duck or goose.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting feet more like a hen so was surprised

      Delete
  4. Yes their feet are quite odd. I have never heard of them before but have heard 'silly old coot' quite often. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i find silly old coots seem to be around me everywhere now I am getting older. 😀

      Delete
  5. Those feet do look funny indeed and hence it all makes sense after all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why they are like that. Something like Ducks feet would seem to work just fine.

      Delete

Post a Comment