Skip to main content

On walking and reading


My husband's doctor says he has to walk more.  Mine has been saying the same so we are making an effort to walk wherever we find ourselves each day. This is better than just going around the block.

Last week we circuited Lawson Park in Mudgee which is beside the Cudgegong River.  This photo made me think of Grace's image of a lone minstral in a park.  It might have been nicer if this gentleman had been strumming and singing but perhaps he was reading an e-book.

A book I have read recently
This week I read Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey because I am working on beefing up my Australian list and this book appears on a number of them.  It's a young adult novel said to be Australia's To Kill a Mockingbird. Indeed the book often references that tale and as a result it begs for comparison. In my opinion comes out wanting.  I didn't enjoy it much.

Comments

  1. I love walking. Unfortunately, due to health problems, we do not do much these days. But we walk whenever we can. I like walking in the country, not so much on pavements. Walking on the beach is also good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has difficulty on uneven ground so it is pavements or graded paths for us mostly. The mountain walking tracks are too rough.

      Delete
  2. I really need to get back into my exercise routine. I did buy a couple of Walk at Home DVDs that I put on while walking in the loungeroom. You can walk so many 'miles' (they are US DVDs) while keeping up with the presenter Leslie Sansone. When walking around the neighbourhood I am always on the lookout for dogs and maggies at certain times of the year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think walking around the lounge room would appeal to me. Not enough photo opportunities😀

      Delete
  3. I wish our doctor´d done same as my hubby promised to walk with me but never does! Too warm, too cold, too much stress (!)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has been helpful because I heard all of those excuses previously too - from myself as well as him!

      Delete
  4. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt Joan Elizabeth and say he was reading not checking Facebook 😀 lovely spot to do whichever. Walking is definitely the best way of exercising but finding the time is tricky... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time can be a problem but since we are retired and I want to go take photos anyway it is working for us at the moment. Mind you after doing a half day in the garden yesterday I reneged on taking a walk. I figured I had done my exercise for the day.

      Delete
  5. I get a lot of walking in each day. It does tend to require a bit more care this time of year with icy sidewalks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember slipping on ice when in Canada. We don’t see enough of it here to remember to watch out for slippery bits.

      Delete
  6. We bought the land where we live because it's across the street from natural parklands and miles of trails. There's no excuse to not walk regularly, though sometimes it's hard to commit the time. Walking is perfect therapy for us and we both enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live within a National Park with zillions of walking tracks. The only problem is that they are mostly rough with steep climbs so as the years have gone by we have walked these tracks less and less.

      Delete

Post a Comment