Skip to main content

Old stuff 28


I was sitting in the shade of the apple tree, once again trying to capture some cool from the intense heat. Lots of apples are falling and they are all wormy so there will be no apple harvest again this year.

This particular apple, fallen with its twig intact reminded me of the old alphabet chart we had at school.  "A is like an apple on a twig a says a, B is like a bat and ball b says b, C is like a cake with a bit taken out c says c".  Below is the chart which I found in an article titled Going to School in the 1940s and '50s.  For anyone who went to school in Queensland in that era this is a great read.  I started in grade 1 in 1959 and everything was just about exactly as described, very little seemed to have changed for decades before the rapid transformation to the style of schools today.




Comments

  1. The heat today on my Mornington Peninsula was extraordinary. My computer Weather Watch said Dromana scored 45 degrees centigrade by 11:00am, but a TV report claimed it was a little lower...Who knows... Our apples too are a little sad... have not seen this alphabet chart before...amazing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gemma. Suffering through heat that hot would be horrible. I hope it cools down for you soon. The alphabet chart is probably a Queensland only thing.

      Delete
  2. Love the old alphabet chart Joan Elizabeth, isn't it amazing how the simplest things can trigger strong memories. Happy weekend ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is I don’t think I have seen an apple on a twig in real life before this.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. If one of the worms put his head out and wriggled around like in the story books even better.

      Delete
  4. That school article brought back memories as I started school in 1953. I went to a private school and Grade 8 was still a primary class unlike as was mentioned in the article. How well I remember those ink wells on the desks :-) We were very well behaved and respectful in those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grade 8 was still part of primary school when my elder brother and sister went through. They had to sit a scholarship exam which I think you had pass to be able to go to high school. Kids were very young when they finished school. Even in my year everybody except for a handful left after Junior (age 15) and some girls married and starting families before I finished Senior 2 years later.

      Delete
  5. I love apples with the twig and leaf, one of the benefits of having an apple tree.
    Your heat is even making the news in our little corner of the world. It sounds dreadful. I hope you get some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been hot but not too bad here. In other parts of Australia several degrees hotter. Extreme weather always makes news these days as people have become weather obsessed.

      Delete

Post a Comment