Skip to main content

Orchard time


It's been busy lately. Buckets and buckets of apricots most of which we caught before the fruit flies. What to do with so many?  It's a bit difficult to give them away when you have to add - check for maggots before you eat!

In the end I gave up on my aversion to making jam and have quite a few bottles of very delicious apricot jam which I can safely share.

The action has now moved onto processing buckets and buckets of lemons.

The good news is we swapped some of the harvest for eggs.




Comments

  1. Wow that's a lot of apricots to use up. Ours get fruit fly in them unfortunately so my husband should just cut the tree down. I hope you have a great year this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a lot. In the end I was grateful for the ones I found grubs in. I could just throw them out.

      Delete
  2. I've given up on our fruit trees. Cockatoos have ruined them over the years and now the trees are so neglected they are not producing much fruit. Apricot jam sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a mystery to me why the birds are leaving our fruit alone. I guess it is because we don’t have a lot of cockatoos and the other birds are more inclined to share. And we have so much fruit I don’t miss what they eat anyway.

      Delete
  3. My mother made a lot of jam, bu not apricot. Mostly strawberry and blueberry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t grow strawberries or blueberries. They make nice jam.

      Delete
  4. Seems like you've been very busy, Joan!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment