Skip to main content

Life in the Village 3 - Aged Care


Over the road from the houses is Ada Cottage aged care facility.  It is small community of residents for those needing assisted care.  But there are lots of spritely older folk in their 80s and 90s living in their own homes in the town.

It was bright sunny weather (that is the brim of my sunhat in the top of the frame) with people out tending their gardens or soaking up the sunshine. We stopped several times on our walk and chatted.  All up we added 11 new acquaintances during our walk. 

Being a country town many of the people have known each other from their schooldays but are nonetheless very welcoming of newcomers like us. 

Do you live among people you have known for a long time?

Comments

  1. That is nice that you are welcomed so well. Small communities are often very friendly. There are people in our retirement village that I have known for a long time and others are new. I met a fellow the other night at a dinner, who was in the same year as me in Port Hacking High School in Sydney. We didn't remember each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great you are living among people you have known for a long time. I might not recognise a person I went to school with but I would certainly remember them once I heard their name as our country school was quite small.

      Delete
  2. No, actually, I've tended to be transitory in my living arrangements, so I don't really get to know the neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too have moved about a lot. We generally know the neighbours in the immediate vicinity but don't continue any relationship with them when we or they move on.

      Delete
  3. We've been here 9 years and know most of our neighbors. The women in our property owners group socialize regularly and we also have a monthly book club. In general people in our town are welcoming, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been part of a book club. That could be interesting if there is anything like that as Kandos. I might ask at the library when I am there more permanently.

      Delete
  4. Small towns are wonderful that way. We have lived in our house for such a long time, we do know our neighbours and the shop owners at local shops etc. When we were growing up in Africa we moved around so much for my dad's work it's nice to just stay in the same spot these days 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise because we have been in the mountains for 25 years we know quite a lot of people at shops etc. even though we lived in the city as well much of that time.

      Delete

Post a Comment