Skip to main content

Solitude

This week we made our last trip into the city for what I expect will be a while.  At midday we were the only people at the Lawson railway platform.  The train was also nearly empty.



We would not have braved this trip, especially on public transport, but my husband really did need to see his eye doctor and needs me as his seeing eye person after his appointment.  So I took this opportunity to check out what things were like in the city.  

The few people still there were respecting the social distancing guidelines.


Going home at 4:30pm which is usually the onset of peak hour rather unbelievably the corridors at Central we all but empty, like it was midnight.



I know many, many people have had their lives turned upside down by the current events.  At this point mine is barely changed.   We are retired and I am by nature a solitary person with plenty to do at home.  The thing I will miss however is going to church each week.



Last Sunday we went to our Kandos-Rylstone church for the last time for possibly a long time.  There was no problem with social distancing as our congregation is small at the best of times.  But it was interesting to realise how much hugging, shaking hands etc normally goes on at church once it was missing.

Today we attended church the new way.  We chose to join with our city church family at St Andrews Cathedral and will do so each week.  


How are you getting on with the changes?


A book I have read recently
I have tried another audio book Solitaire by Jane Thynne - a spy story set in World War II Berlin. For me this is reminder that the world has seen bad times before and the world's current troubles too will pass though may change us in the process.


Comments

  1. Yes having church online is certainly different. Life as we know it has changed a lot in just a few weeks. Glad to see people are staying home in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be nice to attend church snuggled in bed on a cold winters day. Winter is coming brrrr.

      Delete
  2. That really is a surreal sight Joan Elizabeth, I don't think I've ever seen Sydney Central like that.. good to see people are doing the right thing. Like yourself things haven't really changed that much for us although we do love breakfast/brunching when out and about, still going for long walks which I appreciate ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too miss the opportunity to eat out which we usually do when we visit the city.

      Delete
  3. I've seen photos like yours from around the world -- empty streets and plazas -- ghost towns. I'd find it unnerving.

    We're retired, too, so we're not as affected as so many. We've both contracted spring colds (no fevers) so we haven't even had energy to miss our walks which are now banned since our nearby park is closed even on its many trails. I have volunteer activities that are cancelled as are my weekly craft group and I miss the many people I see. One group is trying to arrange virtual online meetings via Zoom. Something new to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Zoom might be a good way to catch up with smaller social groups. I used to do video conferencing when I worked but was never much of a fan, technology glitches always seemed to get in the way.

      Delete
  4. Good to hear from you Joan. We're ok here in burbs. All in person appointments are over so it's online or cancelled until it's all over. Got enough to keep is occupied though. I'm usually pretty self contained too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are doing OK. I had my first telehealth appointment this week.

      Delete
  5. In your place people at least behave. Here they have "Corona-parties". Teenagers run up to elderlies (hopefully fake-) cough at them and scream "Corona!!!" (well that was ... irony... Berlin). It is sad how many still not get it. They "help" making this crisis go on for a long time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So terribly sad to read this Iris. Stay healthy.

      Delete
    2. There has been some pretty bad behaviour beginning here too. I read in todays news that people are abusing health professions, accusing them of spreading the virus. Some people as also spitting and coughing on police - how dumb is that.

      Delete
  6. I saw photos of Mumbai taken in the past week. Not a soul to be seen. Unimaginable, before the virus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment