Skip to main content

Waves


Waves of grass rather than ocean waves.  There is a section of my garden at Rose Orchard Haus that I don't mow because I like to watch the seed heads flowing in the breeze, I have a good view of them from my kitchen window.  I just hope they are not serrated tussock or some other nasty grass that we are meant to eradicate.  If it is please let me know.

I was thinking of waves because of a book I have been "reading" recently The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle.  I am much more of an inland person than a sea person but I nonetheless enjoyed this book.

Grace (from Perth Daily Photo) commented on a recent post suggesting this book to me so I checked out whether the local library had a copy.  It turned out they had an eAudio version which I downloaded.


It is a long time since I listened to a book so it was like a new experience.  I find it's a very slow way to "read" but quite relaxing, perfect for travelling on the train or doing some calm housework like baking a cake.  Having achieved a Speech and Drama diploma many years ago, I also really appreciated the beautiful narration by Anthea Greco.

I don't think I would choose to read War and Peace by audio book but I will certainly see if there are other titles I am interested in downloading.   Do you listen to audio books?






Comments

  1. Oops I just hit the wrong button on my iPad and signed myself out of my Google account. Hope I can get back in. Will give making a comment another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have it all figured out by now. Technology can be a challenge sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I have no opportunities of "listening" to a book anymore. No more long car trips or long train trips. The "Shelley Bay" book is on my list of books to read, but I have to try and find out where I can purchase it, or access it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, since you live in the mountains I see the Blue Mountains library has a paper copy on order. If you are a member you can put a hold on it and have it delivered to your local branch when it is available. You might be in a queue but will get it eventually.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful picture!
    My ex-teamleader gave me an audio-book on a stick. Once the protagonist was dead, then alive again, then dead... I thought I´m too dumb to drive and listen.
    It was mixed up on the stick!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How annoying for it to be mixed up. I think I have only ever listened to one book in the car, and that was in the days when I used to sit in bumper to bumper traffic for over an hour each morning. I don't think I would enjoy listening on the open highway, might make me loose attention to my driving.

      Delete
  4. I haven't tried the audio books yet Joan Elizabeth, so many people I know do. There's something about actually having the book and turning pages that appeals to me more 😊 So glad you enjoyed the book ✨ Not sure about your sea of grass, I can't imagine it would be anything too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding the grass I have done some investigation and it doesn't look like anything nasty. I saw an article on the ABC this weekend which says that audio books, podcasts, "radio plays" etc are becoming big at the moment.

      Delete
  5. I have a neighbor who listens to audio books, particularly as she mows their (very large) yard. We started to listen to one audio book but it sounded all wrong (the voice, the pace) and gave it a pass. I like the quiet, meditative experience of reading the written word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have a large yards to mow but I can't imagine listening to a book while doing it. The noise and exertion doesn't quite fit with the experience of enjoying a book. I agree that if the narrator wasn't right an audio book would be just horrible.

      Delete
  6. Love the green waves. No I've never listened to an audio book must try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be worth a try, though it is clearly not for everybody.

      Delete
  7. That is pretty.

    I've only listened to a couple of audio books and didn't really like the experience, as I prefer to turn pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to be able to turn pages quickly when the pace is a bit too slow. Fast forwarding an audio story just doesn't work.

      Delete
  8. The grasses here are also lush and delightful to watch. It seems such a long time since this was the case. I'm afraid I loose concentration with audio books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have a problem with concentration but I treated it much as I would a paper book, I only did it when I was committed to concentrating on the story i.e on public transport and baking. However I have a feeling it might. be the perfect thing to do when I am quilting, so will give that a go soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment