Skip to main content

Going the distance

My husband quite regularly visits our aged neighbour for a long chat. These days "long" has a different meaning.



There are many things I could do to fill my time when confined to home but my latest obsession has been restoring furniture so I thought I would share some my recent projects.  

Occasional Table 1



This little table was lost under dark varnish and had a screw holding down part of the table top that was loose. My main objective was to get rid of that screw. I was delighted to find it had lovely grained timber  under the varnish - I think Silky Oak which was a very popular cabinet timber in Queensland.  

Its story: it belonged to my husband's grandparents, then migrated to his parents home and hence to ours.  

Occasional Table 2

Before

After
I have been itching to do this one for years because I knew the marquetry would come up nicely.

Its story:  It was given to my mother-in-law by a rather posh English lady and later migrated to our home.

Grannie's Chair



This one has been sitting in a corner in the spare bedroom because it was becoming unglued.  It was also painted in the contrasting colours my Grandfather favoured.  I have always liked the carved woodwork.

Its story:  This belonged to my great grandmother, and later to my grandparents and parents before coming to me.  I never knew my great grandmother who was known and fondly remembered throughout the town as "Grannie".  She was post mistress, midwife and grew great roses.  

And more



The stool was from our Brisbane home in the early 80s.  The long stool left by the previous owners at Rose Orchard Haus. The coffee table from our Sydney apartment in the late 80s.

These are all projects that have been on my to do list for years and it has been great to get to them.  I will probably be moving back to textiles soon.  Anything has to be better than cleaning the windows!

Is coronavirus helping you to get to a backlog of projects?





Comments

  1. You do good work, Joan! These all are wonderful pieces, especially those you so painstakingly refinished. The marquetry has emerged beautifully.
    I wish I could boast accomplishments. I came down with a cold around the time we locked ourselves in. Until the last few days all I've accomplished is a lot of reading punctuated by undemanding movies and cooking more than usual. It hasn't helped that the disarray of our federal government has driven me mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you are feeling better now Kay. At least you guys have sunshine and warmth to look forward to. I think it is hard for all governments to navigate this crisis which at times seems to look like disarray.

      Delete
  2. You have done a good job with the tables and I do like the marquetry on the 2nd one. I inherited one similar to the 1st one which renovated few years ago, they are handy little tables too. I also have a carved chair similar to yours, another we got from my parents house. I look forward to seeing more of your home handywoman projects. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie, I have a few more projects on the go which I guess I will show in time. The trouble is following the coronavirus news seems to sap some of the energy of life. Also, because it is Easter I have been having a "holiday".

      Delete
  3. Those are very beautiful items.
    And stories!
    My Brother has an oririginal Steinweg piano and let´ s it go down the drain, so sad.
    Great you do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let my piano go rather too long before I had it tuned. I got that done late last year. It needs another tune to get it right but I guess it will be while before that happens now.

      Delete
  4. Busy, clever, succesful you. Such lovely pieces restored. Yes, I have lots of projects that have been on the back burner for ages. I actually seem to be busier than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retirement seems to make us all busy but I am finding of recent days I am slowing down ... possibly because the cold weather is beginning to descend upon us. I think it is time I took up knitting.

      Delete
  5. Nice work, Joan. You're be productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to remain productive. Though there are times when I just relish sitting down with pen and paper and writing "stuff". Nothing of value but it is like taking a big breath of fresh air to write. I considered a year ago whether to try and get another book published but I refection I didn't want to start another "job" so pushed the idea aside and just write for myself.

      Delete
  6. How super to see all your projects here Joan Elizabeth, you certainly have been keeping busy! I've been spending a lot of time in the garden but tomorrow I plan to begin taping up the window panes on my French doors, ready to paint later in the week if it cools down, can you believe we are up to 35/36C again tomorrow and Wednesday, it's getting beyond a joke now 😀😀. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at hot the weather is over there. It is cold enough here for us to be a lighting a fire every day. I too am having to spend a lot of time in the garden, now the rains have come they have gone berserk, in fact today as I took the photos for the blog I realised Burnbrae garden is now out of control, one path was so overgrown it was like cutting my way through a jungle to get through. I don't know how I am going to wrestle it back as we spend little time here these days. The years of drought lulled me into a sense of complacency.

      Delete

Post a Comment