Skip to main content

Little Car

 


I had my Mazda in for a service this week and saw this cute little 1964 R360 Mazda at the service centre.  My husband loves old cars.  When we are driving along and I see a vintage car I ask him what it is and he can invariably name the manufacturer, model and approximate year. He has no interest in the mechanics, just the shapes.  Hence, he is always complaining about modern cars, they all look the same he reckons.  "See that," he says, "it's a Jaguar (or some other posh car) you wouldn't know, it looks like any Japanese car."

I find this knowledge of cars surprising as he has never made of point of studying them, I guess it has just been a lifelong interest.  

I think my equivalent is native flowers from our local area but this is a quite recent interest (15 or so years) so I don't have a great breadth of knowledge on them. 

Is there something that interests you so much that you collect the information almost unwittingly?

Comments

  1. What a cute car! I have never noticed the different kinds of cars as I guess it is not a subject of interest for me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think is mostly a man thing among men of a certain age who were boys when cars were interesting shapes.

      Delete
  2. My husband is the same, he knows most older cars but says the newer ones all look the same. We have an old Jag and think the old ones look like Jags and are really lovely looking, well thats what we think. I am more interested in flowers and gardening. It works well that we both have different passions but can enjoy them together. Its still hot here and my garden is not happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, old Jags are lovely and even I can recognise them. We had a hot dry spell in our garden but is has rained over the past few days, I hope you get some rain for your unhappy garden too.

      Delete
  3. The only kind of car I can readily identify is a Jeep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We drive a jeep but I can't really recognise them, other than the ones that look like old war machines.

      Delete
  4. I also have a love of Native flowers and did a Tafe course a few years ago at Wentworth Falls Tafe in Native Plants, observation, recognition and reporting. I graduated with a Statement of Attainment and would have gone on to do more, but funding ceased for those Tafe courses. I still love to observe and photograph all native flowers and plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That TAFE course sounds interesting. I used to photography the native flowers a lot so I could identify them at leisure but I am not out in the bush much these days.

      Delete
  5. Funnily enough I have a really hard time remembering names of people, but when I see a plant, the name pops right up in my mind. When I was in Frankfurt last year, we went to a car museum, where there were old and new cars. It was fascinating, but not a passion of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going to old car museums, because the cars make interesting photographs but that is where the passion ends for me. As for names of plants, I am just about as bad with them as people's names but the passion persists.

      Delete
  6. Not interested in cars. I think I had a few obsessions as a teenager, mostly to do with pop music. I still remember many of the tunes and lyrics today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my childhood home there was just one radio and the station never tuned to pop music which my father disliked. Nonetheless, lots of tunes from the 60s are stuck in my mind which I must have picked up via osmosis.

      Delete

Post a Comment