Skip to main content

Summer Fruits

 


This week it was the blood plums time for harvest.  I love harvesting summer fruits but with amazingly productive trees the quantity can be overwhelming.  

This year has been interesting.  With a cold start to summer some of the crops were delayed.  I understand that is why the cherries in the shops are late, huge and delicious this year (my cherry trees were old and dying so I cut the last one out recently).  In my case, the slow start seems to have set the fruit flies back a bit too, so we got quite a lot of fruit off this tree before they started ruining it.  

I find it hard to choose which summer fruit I like best, they are all so yummy.  Do you have a favourite?

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I remember the wonderful cherries that came off the tree my sister had in her front yard in Kelowna.

      Delete
  2. Those plums look mouth-watering delicious!
    Apricots and mangoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mangoes have been so cheap this year. We are filling up on them. Sadly our apricot tree failed to provide fruit again this year. We pruned it heavily two years ago and it has been sulking ever since. When it does decide to give me fruit they are big and luscious so I am hoping they will return some day.

      Delete
  3. Those plums look scrumptious. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The not only look scrumptious they taste it. The problem is that they are not all that nice unless they are left fo ripen fully on the tree, as has happened here. But waiting for them to fully ripen usually means the fruit fly ruin most of them.

      Delete
  4. Those plums look very good. We had plum trees once, but not much fruit. My favourite summer fruits are grapes. However, I don't eat much fresh fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grapes a one of my favourites, they are like having a sweet cool drink. There are no shortage of plums in this garden. There are small sweet ones that fruit before Christmas and this tree which ripens much later.

      Delete
  5. Yum. Most fruits get fruit fly here unfortunately. My hubby has bought heaps of produce bags to protect his grapes from the birds so we might get a few of them this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have any grapes growing and the cockatoos tend to be too busy eating the walnuts to bother with the other fruit trees. I find the walnuts are too hard to crack so don't mind them eating them. As for fruit fly ... it is a real pest. These trees were planted years ago when there was no fruit fly problem in Kandos, not so today.

      Delete

Post a Comment