Skip to main content

ChatGPT on Pears

 


The harvest at Rose Orchard Haus has moved onto pears this week. I am thrilled to find that this year they are unblemished and looking delicious.  Pears are harvested before they are ripe, cooled in the fridge for a week or two then put out at room temperature to ripen as you need them so I have not experienced their full deliciousness yet.  However, I have stewed some of the unripe pears which ripens them and they were lovely.

Shirley's comment on last week's post had me thinking about the ChatGPT AI robot that we are hearing so much about in the news lately. It had me wondering whether it is any good at creative writing. Here's the result:

Write a one stanza poem about pears

Juicy and sweet, with a tender flesh,
Pears, oh pears, a fruit so fresh,
In shades of green and gold they come,
A perfect snack, nature's own yum.

Make it more melancholy

Once ripe and plump, now soft and bruised,
Pears, oh pears, a fruit misused,
Left to wither, forgotten and forlorn,
A reminder of time, now passed and gone.

Make it more sexy

Sensual curves, a succulent shape,
Pears, oh pears, an alluring escape,
A juicy bite, so sweet and divine,
Satisfying cravings, one at a time.


I have to admit it is awfully clever but it is not a great poet.  I tried all sorts of ways to get it to write modern unrhymed verse but nothing would make it budge from its preference for ryhmed couplets.  I don't think the human writers and poets have to worry about their jobs just yet.  

Comments

  1. A curious technology.

    I have pear cider in my fridge at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm new to your blog, and have enjoyed my visit very much. That's a pretty photo. I am finding this AI very interesting, and realize we are only at the tip of the iceberg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise nice to see you here. Like I have met you ,I have also met Margaret in real life.

      Delete
    2. Welcome Denise. I will visit your blog this week. Yes, although it has been round for years I think AI is only just coming out of its infancy. There are surprising things to come I reckon.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the welcome ladies. I look forward to visiting often :)

      Delete
  3. Love your pears! I never have any luck buying them so maybe I need to use your process. I had recently heard about AI painting and wondered what it was about. Seems like I need to keep up to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard about paintings too. I tried to get ChatGPT to do one for me and it said is is a text AI machine and gave me helpful suggestions on where to go for drawing. Didn't go there as I had enough of AI for one day.

      Delete
  4. The Chat GPT AI robot is pretty impressive, although "time, divine, forlorn and gone" do not rhyme! However, even human writers would try and get away with that. I love your pears, they look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Humans would certainly use those rhymes. And as ChatGPT only learns from humans it must figure it is OK for it too.

      Delete

Post a Comment