Skip to main content

Just Don't

 


When I saw this overgrown path to Leila's shop in Rylstone this week I was reminded that this same cats-claw creeper was growing over an outbuilding at my childhood home.  It eventually took over and was the only thing holding the old building together in the end. While is has a glorious display of yellow trumpet flowers in spring it is too vigorous.  Just don't plant this one.

Are there other vines in your experience that are bit too exuberant to risk? 



Comments

  1. I hate to see the invasive vine Morning Glory growing in bushland. It reaches the top of the tree canopy, smothering vegetation and is considered to be an ecosystem destroyer. It is prevalent along the Nepean River and lower Blue Mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I had forgotten about Morning Glory. It is a shocker.

      Delete
  2. We had creeping fig that took over and pulls brickwork apart. So does Bougainvillia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of creeping fig. I love Bougainvillia but agree it is both prickly and grows too fast in a climate like yours.

      Delete
  3. So many vines can wreak havoc on nature. In the Richmond River area a glorious yellow flowering vine is choking all the bottlebrushes along the creeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what that yellow flowering vine is. I don't think I have seen one like it in this area, it seems we are lucky in this case.

      Delete

Post a Comment