Skip to main content

Pinking up


In October Mudgee and the surrounding towns "pink up" for breast cancer awareness.  But the pinking up in the city shopping malls this week has been on another scale as Barbie mania has taken over.  There is pink merchandise everywhere.

Barbie has never featured in my life.  She arrived in Australia after I was too grown up to be interested in dolls and I have no children.  As such, the Barbie movie has no nostalgic appeal to me. We chose to go to this week's other blockbuster Oppenheimer which we enjoyed.

Have Barbie (or Ken) had a place in your past or present life?

Comments

  1. No, Barbie wasn’t around when I was growing up and I never gave my daughter a Barbie doll. You are right about the merchandise as it is the same here. Chel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed at how they managed to turn on such a huge marketing machine.

      Delete
  2. Barbie was not available when I was young and no daughter of mine was ever interested in dolls. I am not at all interested in the new Barbie movie. Oppenheimer sounds much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not interested in dolls! I loved mine. I still have one of them.

      Delete
  3. Not interested in the movie based on the trailer alone and the presence of one actor I despise- but I find it amusing that right wingers in the States are losing their minds over the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divides on wokeness seem to be the order of the day everywhere. I don't think I noticed much commentary on that aspect of the movie here, we are probably too busy being divided over other things.

      Delete
  4. No, Barbie hasn't, and I am surprised at the number of my friends who have dressed in pink to go and see this movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting how contagious the pink thing has been. I guess people just like to get in with the fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment