Skip to main content

Why I read poetry


I read one or two poems most days.  To me poetry is the instagram of stories.  There is no need to read a long book to get an interesting view into another's world.  I particularly like anthologies because they are like a box of assorted chocolates, if you don't like one the next one is likely to be yummy.

Mind you, I skip long rambling poems, and ones with incomprehensible classical references. And I don't pull the poems apart like they did in English at school,  if a poem doesn't make sense to me after an initial reading or a quick google to explain some of its mysteries I move on. Also I read a whole anthology of Prose Poems, one per day, and I was never so glad to get to the end of a book.  The form and topics didn't appeal to me at all.

Does poetry appeal to you?

On another topic, jonquils I expect to see in my garden at this time of year.  But what are my roses doing still continuing to bloom at the end of June despite heavy frosts?





Comments

  1. Your roses look beautiful. I am waiting to prune my two bushes. I killed all the others I had unfortunately. I am not really into poetry. I got too much of it at school I think. 😅🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I killed many a rose bush in my old garden in the mountains but Kandos loves roses and I don't have to be an expert to get wonderful blooms. I have 30 or so roses bushes to prune at the end of July so a big prickly job ahead. I fully understand the problem of poetry in schools.

      Delete
  2. I love reading some poetry as it involves imagination and emotions through creative language. I see you have Birds by Judith Wright. I also have this book and find her poems quite delightful. I also like some poems by Les Murray that evoke the landscape of parts of rural Australia. Your roses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that 'some' poetry not 'all' poetry is worth reading. The trouble is I have to read a poem to know it was not my cuppa tea, fortunately most of them are short. I have Judith Wright's collected poems but fell in love with the way her Birds were presented in this book. I also have Murray's collected poems (a very thick tome), I think many are wonderful but not all.

      Delete
  3. Lovely flowers. I don't think I have the mindset to appreciate poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowers are almost always lovely and I think much easier to appreciate than poetry.

      Delete
  4. I love your wonderful, late blooming roses but I don't have a similar love of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those late blooming roses are going to have their heads chopped off later this week. It is pruning time.

      Delete

Post a Comment