Skip to main content

Finished at last


When I first retired I decided to finish some old embroideries which had been languishing unfinished for about 20 years.  After completing the embroidery they then went on to languish a further four years because I had to do the lace edging.  My Mum always used to do that bit for me.  

Eventually I decided it was time I learned how to crotchet but I found it very difficult to do with fine thread (it's easy enough with wool).  When I sent my sister a photo of the finished piece, she congratulated me on trying but reckoned it looked like our blind Nana had done it -- I agree. 

So for the second piece I reverted to tatting which I do know how to do properly   Ah, that’s much better.



Comments

  1. Very nice work. I never learned tatting and crochet so rarely that I forget the stitches so, if I start a small item, I have to finish it in one sitting. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up the web to find out crotchet stitches and that is where I got unstuck right at the start, I didn't find out until too late that in the USA a double crotchet is what is called a treble in Australia/UK so I was doing trebles instead of doubles.

      Delete
  2. Both are beautiful! I would never have thought of tatting an edge. I have many embroidered pieces. Some done by me. I wonder what will happen to them when I pass, especially as both boys live overseas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I have no children I know my embroidered pieces (done by me and various family members) are going to end up in the op shop so I might as well enjoy them.

      Delete
  3. Yes the same thing happened to me. When I retired I finished off my embroidery doilies and then had to learn how to crochet around the edges because, like you, my mother always did that for me. I was quite pleased with my attempts. However, I think your tatting looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment